Time and again, we have repeated that cars aren’t just a form a transport. They are a priced possession that are often treated as a person, a family member, and a loved one. In the current times where we are locked-up in our houses due to the infamous Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic, there are many people who want to know what is the right way to take care of our cars that are expected to stay parked for the near future.
We have thus noted down the best-practices that you should follow in order to make sure your car is properly maintained during the Coronavirus pandemic.
- Park the car in a covered spot
- If parked in open, try to protect the car using a car cover
- Clean the car periodically (once a week or once in 10 days, depending on the condition of your parking)
- Make sure that the car is parked at a location where the tyres don’t sink in the ground, in case of a heavy downpour
- Make sure the doors and windows are closed
- Avoid using chemicals (sanitizers, etc) on fabric. If you have a risk of virus in the car, just keep it untouched for a few days and the virus will die (as per research)
- Fill up the fuel tank so that there is minimum space for air to reach with fuel and cause condensation
- Disconnect the car battery / start the car once in every week and keep it idle for 5 minutes. This will help the oil and moving parts to move around and keep the engine in a healthy shape
Other things to note
- If you have a scheduled service coming up in the next few days, you can ignore the same. Do not treat the service intervals as mandatory. Since the cars aren’t running at the moment, it is safe enough to postpone your service timelines
- Do not engage the parking brake / hand brake. This can cause the brake to get jammed due to oil, dust and moisture getting accumulated in the mechanism
- Park the car in-gear so that it doesn’t move if someone pushes it
Let us know if there are some other steps that you are following to maintain your car in the best shape possible.